Search This Blog

Saturday 10 March 2018

Free As A Bird In Zagreb

I mentioned in my last post that I have recently been in Zagreb for work. While there I paid a visit to the excellent Free Bird Music Shop, generally regarded as the best second hand record shop in Zagreb - and, I would guess, very possibly in Croatia as well. If you are ever passing through, make sure you find time to pop in.

As you can see from the photos on their website, the good folks at Free Bird have gone for the "pile 'em high" approach to retail in a big way. The owner, Tomislav, and his colleague made me very welcome and tipped me off to some promising looking vintage Croatian rock and soul, which I'll no doubt be featuring at some point in the future. He also kindly chucked a local compilation CD on to pile for free.

We'll start with a couple of tracks from that CD, which is called "HGF Retro 1996-2009". From what I can work out, HGF is a competition for unsigned Croatian bands that has been running for over twenty years. There were two CDs issued in 2010 - one featuring all the past winners, and this one featuring bands that missed out on the big prize but went on to have decent careers nonetheless. It isn't all my cup of tea, by any means, but I rather like these two.

"Automatic Disco" - Dogma

"Putovanje Vlakom" - Cota G4

And as a sort of companion piece to "Automatic Disco"...

No comments:

Post a Comment