Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Zaikodelia

I have a list of artists I keep meaning to share with you but never seem to get round to. Well today I can strike one of that list. While I was away last week we had our first ever visitor from the Democratic Republic of Congo. As a belated welcome, here are a couple of tracks from one of the greatest Congolese bands, Zaiko Langa Langa.

Zaiko Langa Langa started out in 1970 and are still going strong. The line-up has changed so frequently that it makes The Drifters look stable, but at different times has included many of the biggest names of Congolese music like Papa Wemba and Bimi Ombale. Today's selections are from a compilation called "Les Plus Grands Succes De L'Orchestre Zaiko Langa Langa". The featured vocalists are Evoloko Jocker, Bozi Boziana and Mbuta Otis which - if I have followed the family tree correctly - means they date from 1979 to 1981.

"Femme Ne Pleure Pas Parts 1 & 2" - Zaiko Langa Langa

"Zaiko Wawa" - Zaiko Langa Langa

Here are the lads in action. This one features the late Dindo Yogo on vocals, which dates it to some time in the second half of the 1980s.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to the Zaiko Langa Langa - Femme Ne Pleure Pas.
    The problem is that the file is removed and I'm not able to download it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me 24 hours and I will upload both files again

    ReplyDelete